There are many claims as to who the first person to drive the first car in Nigeria was and when it was driven. Some say that the first person was a woman Funmilayo Ransome Kuti, some say the first person was a man, but none of these claims are outrightly wrong. Notwithstanding, it is important to have a clear record of who the first person to drive a car in Nigeria was.
Take note, as it is not, the first Nigerian, but the first person in Nigeria because this is what confuses a lot of persons. The record is not properly confirmed but according to popular sources, the first person to drive a car in Nigeria is not a Nigerian. His name is Thomas “Tom” Jones, a wealthy philanthropist.
The precise date which Tom Jones drove his car in Nigeria is unknown but many believe that it occurred around the year 1913. At the time, Lagos was referred to as the Lagos Colony, and it was in this time that Tom Jones donated the first public library in Lagos to the state government.
The type of car which Tom Jones drove is unknown, but because of his wealth and popularity in the then Lagos colony, a street on Lagos Island in Lagos was named after him to honour his many philanthropic acts in the colony. He died almost 20 years after the public library he donated in 1931 was opened. The public library has been renamed to the Tom Jones Memorial Hall and Library, located in Lagos Island, Lagos.
There is much undocumented information about Tom Jones, as he was born in a time when history was not properly documented for future references. But, the first Nigerian to drive a car in Nigeria is Mrs. Olufunmilayo Ransome-Kuti. She was not the first Nigerian to own a car, Sir Herbert Macaulay was, but she is the first to have driven hers. She was a teacher, a women’s rights activist, and a traditional aristocrat.
- Dangote donates 35 security cars to Lagos
- Toyota reveals the Siena 2021
- Toyota Car Models and Price Lists in Nigeria 2020
- How to buy a car in Cotonou and bring it to Lagos?
- 2021 Lexus ES Adds ES250 Model with All-Wheel Drive
- Olamilekan “Laycon” Agbeleshe Biography, Net Worth, Cars and House 2020
- Meet The 2021 Lincoln Corsair
- Comedian Mama Tobi Buys a Range Rover
- 6 Surprising Things Your Car Says About Your Personality
- Olamide Acquire Lamborghini Worth over N218 Million