Buying foreign used cars its cool, some believe its better than buying Nigerian used cars so in this article we will disclose the Charges such as Nigerian custom duty charge on imported cars, port charges, and clearing agent charges that you must pay before your car can be claim and clear from Apapa Port or any other port in Nigeria, for Toyota cars please read> Cost Of Clearing Toyota cars from Nigeria custom in 2020.
Most cars you import from Cotonou clearing agents that are licensed will clear all taxes like import duties, then deliver the cars to their clients in Nigeria. Custom Import duty and taxes are charges paid to the government for importing goods into Nigeria whether by a private individual or a commercial entity. Vehicles from other ports such as Tin Can come from overseas and still have similar clearing charges. These are some of the facts you’ll need to be known if you’re considering shipping and clearing a car in Nigeria.
Nigerian New Import Duty Tariff
In 2014 Nigerian Government increase the Import Duty Tariff in other to patronize Nigeria car manufactures
Rules For Importing Cars Into Nigeria
The government of Nigeria claims that you must make an e-Form M import any type of goods. E-Form M is valid for half a year, except for the E-Form M that you open in order to import machinery and plants, which is valid for 1 year.
Shipping From USA To Nigeria: A Step-By-Step Guide
Lets brief you step-by-step shipping guide.
DURATION: the ship takes about 2-3 weeks to arrive in Lagos (unless the ship will stop in the other ports) from the moment it takes off from the USA port.
TRANSIT TIME: Once the ship drops off your car at the destination port in Nigeria, the estimated time of transit usually takes about 1 – 3 months.
You should keep in mind that when the ship gets to port in Lagos, the process does not end here. Usually, the off-loading process takes several weeks. And this is the best moment to get your clearing agent to work.
Here is the step-by-step guide on shipping cars if you do it yourself or with the help of the agent:
How to ship any car by yourself
- Find a Shipping Broker Online or Offline
- Download their application form called Docket Receipt
- Complete the docket receipt and fax or email it to the shipping broker
- the broker will process and send it back to you in 1-2 days depending on their response timing
- Make 6 copies of the docket receipt and 6 copies of the car title front and back
- take your car and paper-work to the port
- the port staff will give you a receipt confirming that your car was accepted for shipping
- the broker then sends you a bill for the shipping
- Once you make the payment, they will mail your bill of lading to you
- Make a copy of the bill of lading and send the originals immediately to your clearing agent preferable by courier
- Your clearing agent will clear the car from the port
- All this process may take up to 3 months or more
Shipping any car through a shipping agent
- Fine a shipping agent in your area
- Complete the Agent’s paper-work form
- Give him the car, Keys and original title
- You may be required to pay the shipping fee immediately or when the ship leaves
- Once the bill is lading is ready, the agent will call you for pick-up
- Make a copy of the bill of lading and send the original copies to your clearing agent
- Your cleaning agents clear the car from the Port
- this whole process may take up to 3 months
Cost of shipping cars from the USA to Nigeria
- You have to pay an auction fee when you are buying through an Auction abroad;
- you pay the shipping cost to the foreign country;
- you pay clearing fees and different port charges;
- your paying include customs duty, levy, and VAT;
- you are charged for the commission, that goes to shipping and clearing agents;
- you pay charges to the shipping company at the delivery point;
- the costs also may include some miscellaneous expenses.
Cost Of Clearing Cars In Nigeria 2020
The newly introduced system now focuses more on the actual value of the vehicle to get the total cost of the car.
The cost of clearing cars under the old policy based on current value of some popular car brands:
|Year of Manufacture||Clearing Fee for Cars (N)||Clearing fee for SUVs (N)|
|2010||800000||Subject to negotiations|
|2011-2015||Subject to negotiations||Subject to negotiations|
Popular vehicle brands in Nigeria and their current clearing cost this 2020:
|Car model||Cost in Naira|
|Acura MDX 2007||N700,000|
|Acura MDX 2008||N850,000|
|Acura MDX 2009||N980,000|
|Ford Edge 2007||N900,000|
|Ford Focus 2012||N1,400,000|
|Hyundai Elantra 2013 – 2016||N1,300,000|
|Kia Optima 2012||N1,200,000|
|Land Rover R/Sport 2006||N1,500,000|
|Lexus RX 300||N420,000|
|Mazda 3 SV||N2,000,000|
|Mazda 6 2004||N450,000|
|Mitsubishi Carisma 2005||N380,000|
|Toyota 4 Runner 1994||N450,000|
|Toyota Camry 2003||N270,000|
|Toyota Camry 2007- 2008||N600,000|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid 2010||N1,100,000|
|Toyota Corolla 2003||N350,000|
|Toyota Corolla 2004||N450,000|
|Toyota Corolla 2005||N500,000|
|Toyota Corolla 2006||N600,000|
|Toyota Sienna 2004||N350,000|
|Toyota Venza 2010||N1,100,000|
|Toyota Yaris 2000||N200,000|
|Volkswagen CC 2011||N1,200,000|
Where To Clear Your Cars – Zonal Offices in Nigeria
The popular ports in Nigeria through which cars are brought in are Tin Can port and Apapa port. You will only clear at Seme border if you’re importing your car from Cotonou. The various fees to pay at this border includes the custom duty, the port charge and the clearing agent fee.
- Cost Of Clearing Toyota Cars From Nigeria Custom In 2021
- Cost Of Clearing Lexus Cars In Nigeria 2021
- Cost Of Clearing Honda Cars From Customs In Nigeria
Verification of car status can be done at any of the four zonal centres of the Nigerian Customs Service. It is at this place you pay the fees for your car’s uncleared status. The four zonal offices include:
- Zone A Headquarters, No. 1 Harvey Road, Yaba, Lagos;
- Zone B Headquarters, Kabala Doki, Kaduna;
- Zone C Headquarters, Nigeria Ports Authority, Port Harcourt and;
- Zone D Headquarters, Yelwa Tudu Road, Bauchi State.
Another method of verification is to call or send an SMS to the following NCS numbers alongside you C-number, the year you paid your duty, and the port or location through which your car was brought into the country. The numbers to call are 094621597, 094621598, and 094621599. You should receive a customs clearance after a few minutes.
- Toyota cars below 1 million Naira in Nigeria 2020 – updated
- Meet The new Toyota SUV 2021 Yaris Cross
- Best methods to save money for your first car in Nigeria
- Nigerian artist with the most expensive car in 2020
- Davido Latest Car Collections in 2020 – Davido Car Gallery
- Cost Of Clearing Honda Cars From Customs In Nigeria
- Cost of clearing Lexus cars in Nigeria 2020
- Mercedes Benz Cars Selling Below 1 Million Naira
- How to Clear Imported Cars in Nigeria, Cost and Duration in 2020
- Ten tips to maintain your Toyota Corolla